Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Still Livin' the Dream

Hmmm...I don't even know what's happened to this little blog.  It used to be my corner of the world where I found peace and encouragement and therapy.  Now I hardly have time to download pictures from the camera to my computer, much less pick out the cutest ones to post and write about our experiences!  Being an all-or-none kind of gal, this little blog just seems to remind me of my failures.  Yes, it's just a little blog, but it seems so representative of all projects I take on.

So here I am, giving myself a dose of therapy, trying to organize my life into neat categories to write about, and giving any readers out there an update.

School - I love, love, love teaching this year.  I made some changes in how I teach ("methodology" for you teacher-type out there) and I couldn't be happier with the results.  My delivery of lessons now matches my philosophy about how kids learn and it seems the kids enjoy it, too.  Well, as much as any 8th grader can enjoy language arts and social studies, anyway.  The group of students in 8th grade this year is phenomenal.  Did anyone see the recent news story about the middle school football team who planned ahead and let a special needs boy score their only touchdown of the game? The world seemed to be shocked by this, but I'll honestly say that after working with the kids I'm working with this year, I am not surprised.

Marriage - Yep, still married!  And still love the guy. We get out on dates quite a bit, thanks to Ty's mom who loves to take Lainey overnight. Being so busy during the work week, it's always refreshing (and a relief) that we still like to be around each other on dates.   Ty is in his second year as principal at Minter Creek Elementary.  He works hard.  Really hard.

Lainey - (You knew that was coming, right?  And you know this'll be the longest paragraph).  She is something else.  So, so 2.  (Yes, I know, "Wait'll she's three!) At two years and nearly 8 months, she is independent, strong-willed, feisty, but still manages to be sweet.  The girl is fearless.  Loves to climb and jump from very tall heights.  Will not be outdone by anyone. And she rarely gets hurt.  If you're familiar with Love & Logic, you know the scenario when the child is doing something dangerous and the parent is supposed to use a phrase something like, "I wouldn't do that if I were you."  Then the kid does the dangerous thing anyway and realizes the parent actually knows best. Yeah, that's never happened with us. Lainey keeps us on our toes and we love her to pieces for it.  Her antics and sayings make me laugh daily and I can't imagine this life without her.

Child #2 - We are in the process of adopting again.  I've not done any updates or announcements about that and it wasn't intentional.  I'm not sure - it just seems so anti-climatic until we have more news, I guess.  We do not have a referral yet - waiting on an appointment to have one more set of fingerprints taken and when those results come back, we'll be ready for one.  At that point, we'll see who is in the orphanages and make a decision.  We would like to adopt a boy, but we won't make that final decision until we are ready for a referral.  We hope to adopt a child about the same age as Lainey when we brought her home (13 months), but of course there are many variables and we have very little control.  One thing is for sure - we are all very excited!

Well, that's it for my Slacker post. It feels kinda Christmas-card like, but hey, I didn't get one of those out this year, either.

Have a great week!


  

1 comment:

  1. I never get posts that you have updated, so I am finally updating mine and checked out yours and look at that. We are once again on the same page. :)

    ReplyDelete