Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Today I'm Grateful For...

...my job.  How many people can honestly say that?  So many have asked lately how the adjustment going back to work is.  I LOVE IT!!!  What's not to love?  Despite the common (mis)conception, middle schoolers, in my book, are pretty great.  (I know, I know...I'll feel differently when our children are at that age. Especially if they behave how I did.)  As their teacher, though, I believe most just want to be heard and understood.  Get them to trust that you have their back and you care about them, they'll want to please you more than any kindergartener wants to please her teacher. If the day comes that I don't understand or care about middle schoolers, I need to leave the profession and work at Costco (my other dream job).

...autumn.  Crisp, cool mornings.  Sunshine in the afternoon with a light breeze.  Gorgeous leaves changing color. No wasps or yellow jackets.  Hot tubbing.  Fabulous beer selection. Football.  What's not to love about fall?

...girlfriends.  Yes, my husband is great and if I had to choose only one person to take to a deserted island for the rest of my life, I'd definitely choose him.  But there's something about close companionship with another woman.  One in particular (she knows who she is even though she NEVER reads my blog) brings out the best in me but loves the worst of me.  Seasons change in friendships; they ebb and flow like any relationship.  But I feel fortunate to have a few close women that will drop everything if necessary for me, no matter the season of our friendship.

...home.  Not just our physical house, but the warmth we've created.  I decorated for fall recently, and it involved re-arranging some furniture and creating a play room for Lainey.  The process was enjoyable and the end result is, well, home.  I just like how it feels to come home.

...my past.  I don't share much about it, but I'm grateful for all of it.  For my deep friendship with my cousin as a child to my adolescent attitudinal struggles (huh, spell check didn't underline "attitudinal"), to my lost high school years and I'm-so-ashamed-of-my-behavior-I-can't-put-a-name-on-them college years.  Even my depressed years.  My past has defined who I am.  That said, I'm quite certain how I live now is creating the person I am still becoming.

Today I'm grateful.




1 comment:

  1. I love this post.

    And hope one day to be grateful for my past instead of just cringing whenever I think about it.

    ReplyDelete